FIA European Finals
Well it’s here again, the biggest, fastest meeting on the UK drag racing calendar. The FIA European Finals at Santa Pod is one of the highlights of the year for us and this year we decided to split up the driving (since it’s a 3 hour trip each way!) and book a hotel nearby for the Friday night. It worked well, but we’ve decided that one day isn’t long enough to see everything that’s going on, so already we’re planning to go for 2 days next year!
There was a ton of on-track action, with the following classes on display:
- FIA European Top Fuel Dragster Championship
- European Funny Car Series
- FIA European Top Methanol Dragsters Championship
- FIA European Top Methanol Funny Car Championship
- FIA European Pro Stock Car Championship
- FIA European / MSA Pro Modified Championship
- Super Comp
- Super Gas
- Super Street
- Super Pro ET
- Pro ET
- Topspeed Automotive Street Eliminator
- Comp Eliminator
- FIM European Supertwin Bike Championship
- FIM European Top Fuel Bike Championship
- FIM European Pro Stock Bike Championship
- FIM European Super Street Bike Cup
On top of all that, the pits are open to the public and there’s plenty of action in the live action arena to keep everyone entertained. Unfortunately with so much going on, we had to sacrifice the bike races in order to go get something to eat so there’s no photos of those this time. All in all, we had a great day’s racing but unfortunately the weather struck at around 5:30pm and the rain came down just before the 2nd round of Top Fuel dragsters.
With so many people leaving the site at the same time traffic was always going to be an issue, but we were shocked to hear from one of the security staff that we wouldn’t be let out of our car park until all the traffic from the next car park along had passed by – this left us at a standstill in the car park for an hour before we were able to make our way out onto the exit road, which resulted in many frustrated drivers diving for any small gap they could find!